Friday, February 5

the sidewalks are filled with fossils and when they are wet they turn red

a downward spiral for my attention
the spirals in the sidewalk
wet and reflecting a sky that is bright white
no sun, no blue but what a sight
reminds me of an exercise
painting with bleach on black
and the sidewalk is my two minute splash of color
before teacher takes the brushes away
(how long have you got? well,
maybe that's all you really need)
and we tromp back and forth
pounding pounding on something that's felt so much more
than the insignificant pitter patters
of minuscule feet
just look at the size of it!
the prehistoric beast
and the time so long ago
in another world
yet
here it is
in ours
pounding up on our feet
shocking the world still
spirals in stone
that reflect the white sky when it snows

6 comments:

  1. GS has stopped selling canerderli.

    Sobs

    snow has not been chopped off the list of things that are allowed in Lomellina.

    mutters...and falls over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Sarah, I ate the Canerderli. And afterwards it just didn't feel like something to tell the world about. It will be our little secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "painting with bleach on black
    and the sidewalk is my two minute splash of color
    before teacher takes the brushes away"

    There's some great magical assonance in these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine! I stopped by today looking for your peace globe. You signed the Mr. Linky on my site here
    http://mimiwrites.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-get-your-peace-globe-2009.html

    that you were participating in BlogBlast For Peace but I can't find an entry. If you did, please let me know where it is. If not, hope you'll join us this year!

    Peace,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish my sidewalks were cool like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sidewalk. And we so need a sidewalk here.

    ReplyDelete

...and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?