Saturday, February 7

these boots...



Tried on some boots today. I wear a 42 (12) but occasionally a 41 will fit. Generally shops only carry up to 40, but I found one that had a few 41s.

I can't get my foot inside and I don't want to damage the zipper. "It's too tight" I tell him.

"No. Push your foot in there. It's not too tight once you have it on."

I jam my foot in. "Too tight," I tell him.

"That's impossible" says he. "41 is perfect. They're very comfortable," he insists.

I laugh at him. "Nope. Too tight," as I struggle to get my foot out.

"Oh, this one. This one is very comfortable. 41. Look how beautiful" as he presents me another.

Again, too tight. "No," I wince as I step in front of the mirror.

"But that's impossible," he repeats.

"I have a big foot... generally I wear 42... It's not impossible," I explain. I jam my foot into another he offers.

"But don't you see how comfortable they are! Look how comfortable!"

I smile. "Yes, they look nice, but they are too tight. I would need a 42."

"It's impossible!" he retorts.

Laughing now, I put my size 42 boots back on. Ah, now these boots are made for walkin.


12 comments:

  1. Hey your feet are bigger than mine (size 11 here). Hi from someone from the big feet club. I tried to deny that I wore an 11 for a long time, now I just admit it! My feet are much happier now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny -- and get this, the older I get, the bigger my feet get! I'm 41, going on 42 -- in feet that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it's easier to find generously-sized shoes in Italy than it is in Ohio. I have pencil feet (size 8 AA), but my step-daughter wears an 11. Shopping with her for shoes is a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear a size 11, too. I love the looks they give me when I ask for my size--like it's preposterous for me to assume they might have a size that huge. I usually end up saying the hell with it and squeezing into a ten. My poor toes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:10 PM

    I think you may have insulted him. Poor guy. :) I really can't complain, My Dansko's are size 37. And, yes, they are very comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack, I'm a 41 and they are perfection for my big and newly fallen arched feet. I despise shoe shopping because it is a total crapshoot on whether shoes will fit. I don't think I've ever had a salesperson insist I was wrong about it, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thank you for some David Tennant!

    Underneath, you have implied a "suck it" to the shoe salesman who would not believe that your feet were more comfortable in a slightly larger size.

    Hmmmm... could you do a whole month of David Tennant? Cause I would definitely stop by every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine are wide. salesmen love to tell me that shoes will fit if I just try harder. Fortunately a gay friend took me shopping where trannies buy shoes - thank God! Now have comfortable purple crushed velvet spike-heeled boots. I feel FABULOUS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have really thin feet and ankles and most boots are too wide for me. Then sales people try to convince me that I should wear three pairs of socks.
    Umm yeah ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. To boot or not to boot...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny... Those sales people will do anything for a buck, huh?

    "Look, Lady, I could care less that these boots are going to cripple you. My Vespa payment's due."

    Good luck on your boot hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiking boots are the best I can do-my feet aren't that big, but real boots strangle my cankles!

    ReplyDelete

...and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?