Thursday, February 26

sun and shadows

When you've been home bound for days, you notice the emergence when you finally step out into the world. The echo of stone sidewalks and buildings. The sun and cast shadows.


Emerge, still foggy with flu, to take one strong son to school. One bright boy who is bigger and smaller than you realize. Blonde, shaggy teenager punk hair. This little boy who is almost 8. Remember 2nd grade? Remember math and sitting next to Matt Martin. Lying on the blacktop during recess to keep warm from the cutting midwest wind. This boy will remember this place.

Coming back home there are two stops due to a barren pantry at home. Cabinets that have nothing to satisfy the eminent hunger of one mother daughter pair. At the bakery choose half an olive loaf and four soft rolls. At the market, 3kg of apples, 6 pears, 4 kiwis, a bunch of celery and one of chicory. Chosen at random, guided by some underlying impulse, some unknown urge. They just looked good.

12 comments:

  1. You get an amazing variety of veg there! I'm so jealous! I can't tell you the number of times Hubby and I have had to give in and change our menu due to our inability to find ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that. We have a great variety, but it's never the same and never what you thought you needed. My approach now is to not plan what we're going to eat until I see what looks good at the market. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've run out of cream for my coffee. Too bad snow is water and not milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm, love bread, sound great. What are you going to do with 3kg of apples?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Captain... that was killer
    Brenda... The apples will be gone in about 5 days. We just eat them up raw for snacks and desserts... Punkette can't get enough of them. The kiwis, pears, and celery were for Punkone... he likes some variety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your emergence. And on the lovely photo and post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the cold and flu vanishes. These clean vegetables will help for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. Great descriptions. Feels like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds lovely and now i am off to eat an apple!!! You inspired me. I may slather on some peanut butter, but perhaps i will just munch it raw!!!

    HAPPY THURSDAY!!!

    Glad your feeling better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! Thank you. My wife saw my comment and pointed out that I had bought extra cream the day before yesterday and just hadn't looked for it. She might have added some other descriptive words, but those aren't important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knows why the body craves what it does?! It's good that you're up and out. Hope you went to bed early Thursday night!
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you a speedy reovery. Your "The trick is to both stay and go. Bring with and leave behind. Change and remain true. All at the same time." made me reflect deep. Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete

...and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?