Thursday, February 12

100 things, the end

You asked for it. Well, some of you did. If you didn't, please come back tomorrow for a real (and much shorter) post.

51. I played basketball in high school.
52. I wasn't very good.
53. In fact, I sucked (HA! bonus points for working the theme in).
54. Case in point... During a tournament the coach surprised me by starting me in the second half of the game. I thought, "here's my chance. Do something great!" Jump ball, I tipped it to a teammate. She passed it back to me. I was open, so I took off down the court. I was untouchable. The other team seemed stunned by my awesomeness. I could hear my team cheering wildly. As I approached the hoop, I was so focused, the rest of the world faded away. It was just me, the ball and that hoop. "Don't blow it, don't blow it," I prayed. I had to make that layup. I missed, but I didn't give up!!! Rebound, and BAMM! I scored! I actually scored! As I turned, shaking off my glory, my team was yelling. Wait... Coach was really yelling. I forgot that we switch goals at half-time.
55. I love Klimt but hate how they crop out all the sadness from his paintings.
56. I don't watch regular TV anymore because I can't stand the news or commercials... and most of the shows.
57. I have lived on a boat and would love to do it again.
58. I like backpacking and am looking forward to doing it with my family when the kids get bigger. You have the best conversations when you're backpacking.
59. I also like canoeing... Matteo and I canoed in Algonquin about 10 years ago and I would love to do that again, but going before the mosquitoes so we could get more portages in. It was a meditative experience... even swimming in the icy waters!
60. I used to climb at a 5.8/5.9 level. Rock climbing is another thing that has been on hold since I was pregnant with Punkone. They're just about ready for some top rope I think (I wonder if my paunch will get in the way ;)
61. I sing every single day.
62. I used to work at a chemical plant in college. The best part about that job was that we had to walk around with radios so we could talk to each other at any moment. One Friday morning, everyone was particularly groggy and I was bursting. I was struck by the inspiration to sing the line "the stars at night, are big and bright..." into my radio (my lil'bro was a big PeeWee Herman fan). To my joy and surprise I got the reply "deep in the heart of Texas" and a lot of cheering. My boss was in a meeting with a client and came out into the lab laughing, and asking if I had lost my mind. But I was bombarded with requests to sing in the radio again on Monday morning. Literally begging me, people. I struck a magical balance (between keeping my fans happy and not getting fired for inappropriate use of the radio) and created "the Friday morning wake-up call" and sang into the radio every Friday for the rest of the summer.
63. I know how to (safely) operate a fork lift and a cherry picker.
64. I try to say yes as often as possible. You only live once.
65. My grandfather was born in Italy but moved to the US when he was 6... same age Punkone was when we moved here.
66. Grandpa is 50 years older than me. Same difference in age as Punkone and his Grandpa.
67. Grandpa has 49 grand and great-grandkids (one more due this year). He sends every one of us a card on our birthdays.
68. My grad school group liked to go out for DimSum on special occasions. I once asked one of my friends to order her favorite dish for me. Something she would eat in China. She ordered me chicken feet. I chewed on a chicken claw for about 10 minutes and I still haven't figured out if she was messing with me.
69. I hope my kids are learning that you can still have fun even if you wind up somewhere you weren't planning to (cause Mom got us on the wrong bus, off at the wrong stop, at the wrong address, etc.)... what's that expression? "Life is what happens when you're making other plans." That a good one. Might be my motto.
70. What's a motto?
71. Nothin. What's a motta wid you?
72. I like corny jokes.
73. I drink mostly water. Exceptions are: Once a day, a cappucino. Once a week a soda when Punkone and I go out for lunch together. And a glass of wine on the weekend with dinner. Everything else is a rare occasion.
74. The water in Italy is SO good. Especially from the fountains (if you can't drink it, there will be a sign telling you so).
75. I've enjoyed every place I've lived. US, east coast, midwest, west coast, and now northern Italy. I won't move back to the midwest though because I'm allergic to it.
76. I have to wear a bunny suit at work.
77. My son knows how rainbows are formed.
78. He also understands how the body digests food. It's a favorite topic of conversation when he's doing his business.
79. The more I know about science, the more I believe in the miracle of our existence.
80. Books for a deserted island:
Inferno, Dante
The Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas
Dracula, Bram Stoker
The Second Sex, Simone De Beauvoir
Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison
Strange Pilgrim, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Baron in the Trees, Italo Calvino
The Blue Flowers, Raymond Queneau
Immortal Poems of the English Language, Oscar Williams (ed.)
Still Life With Woodpecker, Tom Robbins
81. Music for a deserted island:
Syd Barret
Beatles
Herbie Hancock
David Byrne
Gogol Bordello
Bright Eyes
Nina Simone
Bob Dylan
The soundtrack to "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"
and ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky"

82. I'm usually the whitest chick on the beach.
83. The scariest movie I ever saw was "When a Stranger Calls" (1979)... a friend's mom let us watch it when I was there for a sleep over. That movie haunted me for years.
84. That girlfriend and I got in trouble for marching in front of her house, topless, waving signs at cars that said "no shirts for girls" and chanting "if boys don't wear shirts, why should girls!" I still think we had a valid point.
85. Despite my adult based issues with the message of mass, I enjoy the rhythm, the sounds, and the smells of it.
86. I keep my finger nails short and unpainted.
87. I don't wear makeup or wash my face with soap. Whenever I pay closer attention to my face by applying makeup or cleansing it, I break out. I've learned it's better to just leave it alone.
88. I have yet to figure out the point of g-string underwear. I think it's another one of those sick male inventions designed to torture women.
89. Like pointed toe shoes, body tape, and 4" heels.
90. I like my silver hair. It's really been coming in lately.
91. I'm not so crazy about wrinkles, but it's all part of the package of gaining wisdom, right? Right?!!? Tell me there is wisdom coming.
92. I miss my job in the US. The friends there most of all. Can't wait to dole out the hugs next time I see them.
93. Best bumper sticker ever: "If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now"
94. Last movie I watched: My Blueberry Nights... really great
95. Last book I read: Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro
96. Last song I listed to: You and I, by Ingrid Michaelson
97. Last thing I ate: a chocolate croissant
98. Wearing: (in addition to undergarments) brown leather knee high boots, jeans, black t-shirt, and the bunny suit.
99. Jewelry: None today... rushed this morning. Usually a couple of rings.
100. Feeling: Just fine.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:50 AM

    I'm glad I got to know you a little better.

    Great list. Interesting that your blog name comes from one of your favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things. How were the chicken feet, and why, o'why, must thou wear a bunny suit to work? Do tell. Purty puh-leeze?

    *smooches*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! That movie? Scared the bejeebies out of me, too. Oh, and I love your Grandpa. Think he might like one more grandkid?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can operate heavy machinery?

    Damn! You are fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list. You really have had a fascinating life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You actually did that on the basketball court ! That had me rolling !!

    And there seems to be an Italian connection after all. Thats one helluva motto !

    ReplyDelete
  7. lisa... yes, I totally swiped the name from Gabriel. And I feel a lot like one of the characters in that book, so it's very fitting.

    derfina... 1. The chicken feet were just plain weird. They had been marinated and cooked in some sort of sauce, but you couldn't really eat them... sort of how a dog chews on a bone. And I was just too wigged out by the fact that they were chicken feet to enjoy the taste. 2. Ah... the bunny suit. I work in a clean room and it's to keep the dust of the world off all the micro and nano machines that we make. The explanation takes all the fun out of the story. But it is a white suit with feet and a hood, and you wear white gloves over your hands... and it is called a bunny suit. But the bunny suit people just don't have my sense of humor. If they're going to call it a bunny suit, why not just go all the way and add some ears and a white fluffy tail?

    Diane... yes, scariest movie ever. Years later, I'd be babysitting and think to myself "maybe I'll go check the children" and FREAK OUT, turn on every single light in the house and maybe even arm myself, and often NOT go check the children... I'm just the babysitter after all. Not about to get myself hacked to bits just to make sure these neighborhood punks are safe. And Grandpa would love to have another. Seems like he gets more every year. We're a prolific bunch.

    Bella... yes. fierce. that's me.

    Debbie... thanks!

    Kavi... probably one of my most embarrassing moments. I actually did that. In fact, I think most of my most embarrassing moments come from those years of high school basketball.

    Braja... your comment just cracks me up because I often think the same thing when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which post do I read to find out why you're in Italy? (If it was recent, I apologize. This week has been a total zoo and I will never again commit to doing full posts every day for a week.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanne... well, I guess I haven't done that post yet. Maybe I should?

    ReplyDelete

...and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?