Monday, November 2

waiting

Last night.
After four stories and lights out and waiting, meditating in the dark, one hand for each, shushing, and waiting and shushing. And then sleep.

After making a tea, ginger lemon.
After starting to watch "Something About Mary," in Italian (Tutti Pazzi per Mary).
After lying, no, stretching, on the sofa.


Punkone wakes up.

He can't sleep. He feels hot. He feels sick. He's itchy. He teetering on the edge he always falls over.

I can only be calm.

Bathroom. Water.
Remove covers. Turn off heat.
Perhaps a tea?

We sit in the empty kitchen. The tea is steeping and I start thumbing through a Penzeys Spice catalog. He sits, calmer. "Have a sip," I suggest. More moaning. More silent waiting.

Back in bed. He's itchy. Eczema. And some medicine for the wheezing. He wants to sleep but can't and tosses and itches and is frustrated as his sister sleeps soundly. As she always does. I sit on his bed, just waiting.

And he finally grows calmer. Cooler. But he can't sleep. And I bring him my iPod to listen to. This helps. Seems to.

As I sit with him in the dark, listening to the sounds outside, seeing his eyes grow heavy, and breathing, he turns again, and starts quietly to cry. And through tears he says he's sorry. He's sorry for disturbing my movie. He's sorry I had to make a tea he didn't drink. He's sorry I have to wait...


A hug is all I can do. And a kiss, a sigh, And waiting. But what am I waiting for? To have my tea? Lie on an empty sofa? Oh. Maybe waiting isn't what I really meant. Because sitting in the dark, with my hand on your shoulder... it isn't a burden at all... it's simply my way to be.

12 comments:

  1. Oh that was really lovely. You've left a tear in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao,

    Very fine writing! You express yourself in a vivid and sensitive way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a "rough" night sound so beautiful and desirable. Your kids are so darn lucky to have you as a mother. I love your insight and your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth is right, your kids are lucky to have such a wonderful mother. I hope Punkone feels better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful..... my way to be too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good child you have...must be the child of a good mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excuse me, I'm going to go hug my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very touching. lucky mum, lucky child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My step-grandchildren both had a virus recently that started with hives. It was the strangest thing but was going around. And it had a stomach thing too. I hope he feels better soon....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastically written. sometimes it is in the being that we live !

    And it is these tucked away moments that teach a thing. Or two !

    About the world. And about us !


    One of your best posts, i must say !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, all your comments are very touching. Really. I didn't set out to write something deep, just felt moved by the experience of the night before. Thank you for the wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness - so touching!

    ReplyDelete

...and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?