Monday, November 9

since the fall of the berlin wall

I experienced the first major anniversary of an adult memory the other day.
The 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall.
I read the headline and thought, "20 years?"
Has it really been twenty years since the Berlin wall came down?
But twenty years is a really long time. It can't have been twenty years.
For some reason I feel like I've just left my teens. Oh, I've matured, but it wasn't that long ago.
Right?
And then I did the math, the hard science, and realized I've got a 20 year high school reunion coming up.

((shudder)) Good god.

I remember, clearly, when my parents went to their 20th high school reunion, and they were, like, fossils.

Am I a fossil?

More than half my life has gone by since the wall came down.
What the hell have I been doing?

Well, in that time, I've had every romantic relationship of my life
And 5 years of college
Stomped the high school mud off my boots
Dorms and classes
The soap factory and death and music at the tracks
And California
And 5 years of graduate school
Non-linear optics and rowing,
Lasers, Love and sailing
And marriage
And back to California
And babies (6.5 years of breastfeeding!)
And finally a thesis
The national lab nightmare (3 years)
The non-profit salvation (another 3)
Friends and home, and new sister-in-laws
And now these years in Italy...

Since the fall of the Berlin wall I guess a lot has changed, and it really has been that long. Makes me excited to see what the next 20 will bring.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:51 AM

    EVERY romantic relationship of our life? NO! There are still many romantic relationships ahead of you. I love the way you've formed these thoughts into a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good point, XUP. Many more ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a major anniversary to make a girl feel old. I remember what i was doing 20 years ago and i distinctly remember that only being only 10 years ago! LOL *eek*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, feeling suddenly old. How did this happen? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my 20th this past summer. And the memories of watching the Wall fall from the college lounge are still so strong. The way you've described the passing of time here makes me feel hopeful, which I need. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your 20 years sound damned fabulous! :) Here's to the next damned fabulous 20! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done a lot and have a lot to be proud of.

    6.5 years of breastfeeding. :-) Now THERE'S a measuring stick for ya!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some similar thoughts went through my mind as well.

    Time flies. Doesnt it. In a Hyper sonic jet !

    things change so much that there are so many things that i havent kept a track of !

    But your post reminds me of a few things... that have indeed changed !!

    For one, i dont have to give math exams

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was 9 when the wall fell, so my memories of it aren't that pivotal. What I do remember, however, is my older brother's friend selling me a piece of the wall about a month after. A piece of the wall that turned out to be a worthless, spray painted chunk of cinder block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having the SAME emotions about the 40th anniv of 1969.

    Am I a fossil now? Thought I was young!

    LOL, and so the wonderful circle continues merrily.


    Ciao & Aloha, Friend!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  11. In summer -89 I was in China, Beijing when they had that student 'revolution'...
    I met my becoming husband...
    What a year that was!

    Ciao & tsau (like pronounced in Finland in Finnish?! yes, kind of...) bella bambina...

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed our perception of time changes drastically as we age. I used to think that was because we got less out of every day, but now I'm starting to think it's just simply because we've seen so much more. I still grapple for that childlike joy and fascination with each passing moment, but feel thankful for the steadiness inside me that only comes with time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you seem to have cramed more in twenty years then most do in a life time.....you should be proud...we are ;)

    ReplyDelete

...and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?