Monday, March 29

runners high



Spring, degenerating health, and ants in my pants got me out for not one, but two runs this weekend. Punkette on pink wheels came along to keep me company while M and Punkone set off further afield.

So I lace up my shoes, pull down the bike, and she and I wound our way through the city streets. Down the street, right through the alley, across the park, under the tracks, two more blocks and we find the bike path.

Punkette's chattering dances across the steady beat of my feet on the pavement. Mixing up my usual rhythm. "Why do bees like bright colors?" she asks, reflecting upon their attraction for her fluorescent yellow t-shirt. I make something up about all the bright colors in nature being flowers. That the bees have evolved to recognize bright colors because that was where they always found the pollen they needed. That it was only just recently that people started confusing them with crazy colored t-shirts.

"Let's talk of the things of nature" she says in an awkwardly translated Italian. Its something she's learned in school and I ask her to explain what she means in Italian. That I'm sure I'll understand. She doesn't look convinced, but proceeds.

And we run and bike, side by side and sweating, I quiz her... The game is to say if something is natural or fabricated. We quickly arrive at the crossroads of the wooden post, which is fabricated, but made of wood, which is natural.

She enjoys this and I'm distracted from my tiring muscles. Their outraged cry at the past months of neglect. "What are you doing to us?!?!" is muffled by this curly headed punk on pink wheels.

But I sense a lull in her enthusiasm for the ride so I point out a far off cluster of trees. I tell her that there is a bench near those trees and that it would be a perfect spot for a break. Again she doesn't seem convinced (when did my children begin to doubt me so much!?!).

Then I cut her off at the start of "I can't..." and offer to set her up with the mp3 player. To this she lights up. And we race ahead, my body's cries for mercy drowned out by Punkette's repeated renditions of "Lollipop!"

She does the "sassy" Mika part really well.

4 comments:

  1. I used to share my runs with my daughter on her bicycle like this, too, once upon a time. Now I run alone because she'd rather sleep. Is running very popular in Italy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gone are the days for me..oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to chuckle at that bit about your children doubting you. Oh, yeah. I know what you mean. The infuriating part comes when they tell you what someone else has told them, and it's just what you already told them - only they believe the other person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. XUP, there are a few other scattered runners, but I don't think it's as popular here as in the US. Biking is huge though and they usually dominate the trails.

    OG, I'm trying my best to soak up every minute of it.

    bobbie, Oh good. I was worried it was because of our move here. It seems that since they've seen me blunder about in a new country they don't believe a word I say.

    ReplyDelete

...and you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?